2014 © Torbay Deaf Social Club. Made With Serif WebPlus.
Torbay and District Deaf Society, Charity number: 202387
A Group of Deaf met at St. Edmunds Road, Plainmoor, Torquay on 8th September 1929 to form a Deaf Society, they also had a meeting held at Coronation Road, Newton Abbot who agreed to join the Torquay Group and combine Torquay, Paignton, Brixham, Newton Abbot and Dartmouth.To be called Torquay & District Deaf Society, they rented a room at the Ginger Café on 18th September 1929, opened most evenings from 8pm to 10pm in the summer, and in winter, Wednesdays and Saturdays, 6.30pm to 10pm. Sunday services was held fortnightly and rented other rooms until 1938.
Membership at that time was for gents is 2/6 and for ladies 1/-. The Trustees decided in 1938 to buy 40 Fore Street, St. Marychurch and during the war years members supported the club and church. The club stayed there for 20 years, then moved to temporary premises then on to the old fire station at Market Street for one year.
The club moved to present property at Abbey Hall in 1959, with the help of then Mayor Mr. L. Goodrich and the Trustees and Committee of Torquay & District Deaf Society.
1930 - 1932
1932 - 1936
1936 - 1938
1938 - 1958
1958 (3 months)
1958 - 1959
1959 to present
55 Castle Chambers, Torquay
32 Castle Chambers, Torquay
Union Hotel Room, Pimlico, Torquay
40 Fore Street, St. Marychurch, Torquay
Manor Hotel Room, St. Marychurch, Torquay
Old Fire Station, Market Street, Torquay
Abbey Hall, Rock Road, Torquay
Abbey Hall Centre
Torbay Deaf Social Club is on the top floor of the building, the Disabled Fellowship used the ground floor until it closed few years ago. The Hard of Hearing Club used the middle floor until they closed down in 1993. It is now our Sports room and was opened in 1996 by Mr. L. Goodrich OBE. It has a skittle alley designed and made by deaf members.
Main Room / Lounge
Had been modernised in 2001, has a Bar, Canteen, Large flat screen TV, Pool Table with comfortable chairs and tables. Bingo is held once a month.
The Bar was made by deaf and hearing members. Opened by the Lions Club on 10th August 1977. Alterations was done in 1988 and 2004.
Chapel of St. Bedes
Services are held once a month and the Chapel has a Christening Font where several babies have been christened in the past.
For more history of the Abbey Hall, Torbay Civic Society have printed a leaflet which can be seen here. (It is in PDF format which you will need adobe reader to open)